Many thanks to New York Times Bestselling Novelist Jane Green for visiting with us and sharing her thoughts on this Thoughtful Thursday.
Remember that anyone who leaves a comment or question for Jane will have a chance to win an autographed ARC of my September release, SOUTH BEACH CHICAS CATCH THEIR MAN from Downtown Press and SECRET AGENT REUNION, my August release from Silhouette Romantic Suspense.
Now without further ado, Ms. Jane Green!
1. At one time you were a journalist. What inspired you to turn to writing fiction?
2. You’re credited for helping to create the chick lit genre, but the nature of your latest book seems to be a departure. How do you think fans of your earlier books will react to SECOND CHANCE?
When I first started writing I was single and in my twenties, and now, as I approach forty, a divorced mother of four, I have a very different life, and I’m simply not interested in writing about the things I used to.
I have a tremendous number of letters from readers my age and older who are only recently picking up the books and say they love them, had no idea I was writing for them, and by the same token every time I look at amazon there seems to be an angry twenty-something who tells me that I should stick to ‘chick lit’.
I think it’s very hard for some of the younger girls who have discovered my earlier books now, to realise that the more recent books are older, and writing about subjects and themes that are impossible for them to relate to.
I also think these are the problems with being categorised as a ‘chick lit’ author. The term implies something fluffy, frothy, and young, whereas I like to think of it as being commercial women’s fiction that is an accurate reflection of the lives real women are living today, whether they’re in their twenties, or, as in my case, thirties, forties and older.
3. You’ve recently moved and are starting some renovations to your home. Having done some myself, I know how distracting they can be. How do you keep focused on your writing during such times?
4. You had a number of signings in June to kick off SECOND CHANCE. What
was the thing you found to be the most fun about the signings?
5. You grew up in the United Kingdom, but now live in the States. What’s the biggest difference that you notice between the two besides which side of the road we drive on?
6. If you had one wish, what would it be?
Thank you so much Ms. Green for dropping by to blog with us!