We’re still celebrating with my month long birthday bash and today I’m lucky to have with me Rachel Firasek whose latest release is PIPER’S FURY. Rachel had a chance to chat with Piper and since it’s Thursday 13, Piper is sharing with us the 13 lies she uses to protect her heart.
And now for a short blurb about PIPER’S FURY and Piper’s list for Thursday 13.
It’s an empath thing…
Using your “powers” to help the Dark Hills Police Department hunt down serial killers doesn’t leave much time for dating. Not that Piper Anast is complaining. The last thing she needs is some guy brushing up against her and pumping his pornographic thoughts into her head.
When she meets Bennett Slade, a sexy, tormented vampire, Piper stumbles headlong into a telepathic connection with his missing daughter. She can’t leave the kid to the evil surrounding her unwanted visions, nor can she resist her draw to Slade. He’s the first guy she’s been able to touch vision-free in, well, forever.
As she and Slade close in on the evil creature holding his daughter, Piper’s powers morph into a deadly fury. To save Slade’s daughter-and herself-Piper must face down demons she never knew she had and trust the one thing she keeps from everyone.
The Thirteen Lies I Use To Protect My Heart by Piper Anast
1. Slade is Ugly…no it’s a lie, it is. The man is gorgeous. His eyes reflect a storm above the mountain when he looks at me. Major hunk.
2. Slade’s mean. He’s mean to me. Nope, that’s a lie too. He’s really very nice. And polite. Too polite, it’s annoying!
3. He can’t cook. LIE! He cooks better than most women in America, he has years of practice. Hundreds of them.
4. Slade, is kind of cold-hearted. That’s not true either. He has a pure soul. He’s an open book until he tried to protect me from all the baddies in the world.
5. He’s a chauvinist. Well, other than keeping me away from death–dang, that’s not true either. He let’s me be a complete feminist.
6. He’s not sexy. If you like perfect muscles, tall and mysterious, I guess he would be considered sexy, but I don’t. *averts eyes from the crowd*
7. He doesn’t show any interest. Maybe he’s not into me as I’m into him. That’s not true. When he looks at me, when he kisses me, I know he more than just wants me.
8. He doesn’t take care of his kid. It’s true. She gets kidnapped when she’s a year old. I mean, who lets that happen? That’s mean, even for me. He adores this kid. It’s breaking his heart.
9. I tell myself that we wouldn’t be good for each other. Why would a gal with a temper need somebody kind and calm? It’s just not a good fit.
10. I’m not ready for a relationship. I mean, I’m only 24. I’ve never even dated. But, that’s because men are pigs. Well, except for Slade. He’s the first man I’ve ever met that hasn’t dirtied my mind with torrid visions.
11. I can’t move in with him. He lives in the mountains. Oh, who am I trying to kid. It’s the perfect place for an introvert like me.
12. If I were to get with Slade, I’d have to leave Mabel. She needs me. I mean who would drag her home from her many meetings, outings, and socializing?
13. I lie to myself. I lie to my friends. I lie to everyone because I don‘t have any feelings. Biggest lie yet. I love them all, but I can’t let them know that. You see, when you admit it, when you voice it and lose it, it hurts worse. I’ll just keep it locked inside and when they pass or leave, I’ll be able to keep a piece of them with me.
Thank you all for letting me share my chronic lying problem with you. Piper Anast, signing off!