Today’s Thursday 13 is a mixed bag. First I’m going to share some news about the awesome Create Something Magical Conference being held by the Liberty States Fiction Writers. Second I’m going to share the 13 things I love about conferences!
If you’re looking for a place to attend interesting panels and social events, get editor and agent appointments, network with industry professionals and readers, take a moment to consider the Create Something Magical Conference on March 17, 2012. If you’re either an aspiring or published author, there are a number of excellent panels on craft and business, editor/agent appointments, lunch with keynote speak Larissa Ione, Lady Jane’s Salon readings, a networking reception and an after-conference party all for $120. Plus you can mingle with readers on the brand new readers’ track!
Readers can attend the Lady Jane’s Salon readings (complete with dessert and beverages), panels with some of your favorite authors, a book club with Larissa Ione and the after-conference party complete with hot finger foods, a DJ and Karaoke! Cost for readers: $40. Yep, you read that right – $40. That’s less than a night out with the girls.
Plus there will be a book fair, free books and other swag, basket raffles (tickets are included with conference registration) and an Sony E-reader giveaway for those who register by February 1.
But for now I’m going to list in no particular order the 13 things I love about going to conferences like the Create Something Magical Conference!
1. Meeting readers! It’s always so great to meet people face-to-face, but the other thing is that I’m a reader and love to talking about my favorite books.
2. Meeting other published writers. It’s great to be able to talk to other published writers and here what’s happening with them.
3. Meeting aspiring authors. I love being able to share the knowledge that I have and being able to pay it forward.
4. Going to workshops. No matter what, I always get something useful from the workshops.
5. Positive energy. Just like the Hunters in THE LOST, it’s always amazing to tap into the positive energy that abounds at conferences. I always feel like my creative power has been recharged.
6. Rubber chicken and limp pasta. LOL! NOT. But I do love the finger foods we have at the receptions.
7. Doing face time with the editors and agents. It’s always nice to chat with them socially and see how they are doing.
8. Editor and agent appointments and panels. Way different than the social thing, but also good for pitching new stories and seeing what’s happening.
9. Hanging out at the bar with friends. Not much of a drinker, but nursing a glass of wine (or a Mudslide) while dishing with friends is always fun.
10. Breakfast the morning after. I usually stay overnight and I love breakfast! I could eat breakfast for every meal I love it so much.
11. SWAG. I love checking out the SWAG and seeing what others are doing.
12. Setting up the night before the conference. It’s always great to work to get everything going and share time with all the wonderful volunteers helping out at the conference.
13. Okay – I ran out of steam. Not sure about #13 but maybe something will come to me.
To visit other Thursday 13 participants, please click here!
Disclaimer: Caridad is a member and founder of the Liberty States Fiction Writers and is currently serving as the Secretary for the group.