October 27 2009
GRAND CENTRAL PUBLISHING
Re-Released August 2014
The first book in the exciting SIN HUNTER paranormal romantic suspense series
Behind the Scenes
E-book at Amazon
Purchase the Paperback
Barnes & Noble
Caterina Shaw’s days are numbered. Her only chance for survival is a highly experimental gene treatment – a risk she willingly takes. But now Caterina barely recognizes herself. She has new, terrifying powers, an exotic, arresting body — and she’s been accused of a savage murder, sending her on the run.
Mick Carrera is a mercenary and an expert at capturing elusive, clever prey. Yet the woman he’s hunting down is far from the vicious killer he’s been told to expect: Caterina is wounded, vulnerable, and a startling mystery of medical science. Even more, she’s a beautiful woman whose innocent sensuality tempts Mick to show her exactly how thrilling pleasure can be. The heat that builds between them is irresistible, but surrendering to it could kill them both . . . for a dangerous group is plotting its next move using Caterina as its deadly pawn.
Excerpt from SINS OF THE FLESH
The day the music died, Caterina Shaw did as well.
Not physically, although she understood the death of her body was inevitable. She had come to terms with that reality some time ago. She had even managed to deal with the blindness caused by the tumor eating away her brain. But then the pain had become so great that it had silenced the music, stealing away the only thing that had made life worth the anguish.
“You understand this treatment is new and uncertain,” Dr. Rudy Wells explained, his voice smooth and comforting. The touch of his hand, warm and reassuring, came against hers as it rested on her thigh.
“I understand,” she said and faced the direction of that calming voice.
Another person abruptly chimed in, his tones as strident and grating as a badly played oboe. “We’ll begin with laser surgery to remove the bulk of the tumor followed by two different courses of gene therapy.”
Two? she wondered and sensed Dr. Wells’ hesitation as well from the tremble that skated across his fingers. He removed his hand from hers and said, “Dr. Edwards believes that we can not only shut down the tumor growing in your brain, but possibly regrow the portion of your optic nerve that the tumor damaged.”
Caterina’s only wish when considering the experimental treatment had been to stop the pain so that she could play her cello once again. So that her last months would be filled with the vitality her music provided.
It was through her music that she lived. That her mother lived, Caterina thought, recalling the passion she had felt as a small child when her mother had played the piano for her; the way her mother’s fingers had coaxed life from the keys much like she now did with a stroke of her bow and the deft touch of her fingers on the strings of her cello.
Or at least like she had up until the cancer had put an end to her music, bringing her life to a close. Except now she was being told something different.
Caterina had never thought about eliminating the tumor. Every prognosis so far had been that she was terminal. Now these new doctors told her not only that might she live, but that she might actually see again too. She didn’t dare believe that she would be able to get her old life back completely, as well as her sight but . . .
“You think I’ll be able to recover? To see again?” Caterina asked, needing to be sure she had understood correctly.
“The risks are great, my dear,” Dr. Wells urged gently.
“But you qualify for the human trials because of the advanced state of your illness, Ms. Shaw,” Dr. Edwards added, annoyance at his partner evident in the staccato beats of his voice.
Her advanced state which could possibly bring death even with this treatment, Caterina thought. Not that she feared her end. What she did fear was letting the pain in her head rob her of the one thing she could not live without.
She knew without hesitation that it was worth any risk to regain that part of her. To drive back the illness so she could play her cello once more and reanimate her heart for as long as she had left if the treatments couldn’t stop the tumor.
“What do you need me to do?”
Copyright 2009 Caridad Pineiro Scordato
Behind the Scenes of SINS OF THE FLESH
- I’ve been sharing information about the locales in SINS OF THE FLESH and I hope you enjoy these Behind the Scenes looks at what helped shape the book!
- Bradley Beach Photos Also read more about Bradley Beach by clicking here!
- Click here for more about The Pine Barrens.
- Click here for information about the Locales in Philadelphia
- Click here for Suspense and Mystery at Fort Hancock.
- Click here for a tasty Mexican Food Recipe and more behind the scenes info
- Click here for the Casting Call for Caterina Shaw.
- Click here for Science Fact and Fiction in SINS OF THE FLESH.
Reviews for SINS OF THE FLESH
- “Readers will root for these two characters as they battle the bad guys to find a future together.” BookPage
- “Mick is an interesting hero, a mercenary for hire, but a family man on his own time. Caterina is strong-willed, and now forced to deal with something she never imagined, she’ll grow even stronger. This is a terrific paranormal story for readers who’re tired of the same old, same old, with an interesting new idea. The only bad thing here is that the publisher is making us wait till next fall for the second story in the series. I’m giving this one four of Cupid’s five arrows.” Bella Online
- “Sins of the Flesh is engaging from beginning to end. A very enjoyable book with enough twists and turns to keep me interested in the story and want more. I will be looking for more books by Ms. Pineiro.” JoyfullyReviewed.com. Read more . . .
- “I can hardly wait for the next in this exciting new series to come out. This is as good as paranormal gets!” Romance Reviews.
- “This has all the makings of a great paranormal romance -a beautiful heroine, a dark, sexy and protective hero and a compelling and relevant subplot.” RT Book Reviews.
- “Caridad Piñeiro never disappoints, and her new series looks to be a winner in every possible way. No author is better at crafting novels which explore the paranormal than Caridad Piñeiro.” SingleTitle.com. Read more . . .
- “‘Sins of the Flesh’, is a fast paced page-turner, the narrative is packed full of action and suspense with number of surprising plot twists.” ClosetWriter. Read more . . .
- Jessica Andersen: “If you’re feverish for a chilling scientific thriller with a sharp edge of romance, I prescribe Sins of the Flesh as a sexy, satisfying cure!”
- LA Banks: “Sins of the Flesh explodes on the page with page-turning action and sizzling love scenes as only Caridad Pineiro can deliver!”
- Carole Nelson Douglas: “Cutting-edge scientific conspiracy gives “paranormal” a fascinating and believable new edge in Caridad Pineiro’s exciting romantic suspense thriller. A man and woman, each labeled “rogue,” must make extraordinary efforts to stop a species-threatening scheme. Pineiro’s Mick and Caterina generate plenty of heart, heat, and heroism to defeat clever and brutal killers.”
- Angela Knight: “In Sins of the Flesh, Caridad Pineiro has written a sexy adventure with a luscious hero and an amazing heroine. Mike is a delicious Alpha Male, and Caterina has guts, intelligence and courage. The plot is fascinating, and the romance is delightful. I couldn’t put it down!”
- Lindsay McKenna: “Caridad Pineiro is one of the most gifted and talented paranormal writers we have. I can’t WAIT until the next Caridad Pineiro novel comes out! She is on my automatic reading list! No one creates a page turner like Caridad Pineiro!”
- Debra Webb: “Sins of the Flesh captured my full attention with its too-human characters and its too-real plot. A fascinating, adrenaline-fueling read! I could not stop turning the pages!”
- “What a wonderful story and a great book for not only the paranormal genre but also a touch of mystery as well as suspense. You may think you know what is going on and who the bad guys are but turn the page and discover that nothing is as it seems and the people that you were convinced were the evil doers may just not be after all.” The Reading Reviewer
- “Sins of the Flesh is an action-packed thriller that never takes a breath once Caterina accepts the radical experimental treatment. The story line is faster than the speed of light, but though Caterina is fully developed, Mick is not so the audience never fully understands his motive to become a mercenary (especially once we meet his family) or to not bring her in even if he likes her. Caridad Pineiro provides another one of her super romantic suspense thrillers as the heat is on.” Genre Go Round Reviews
- “The author’s use of modern and real science mixed liberally with fictional mad science and non-stop action kept it interesting. I read the book in about six hours. I could not put it down. The story made me think. . . . I can’t wait for the second book in this series.” Backseat Nightmares
- “This book is as hot as it’s title and as much fun as you’d imagine! I loved this book! Pineiro has written a book that is exciting, sexy and fun and is a must read. The book is a tad sci fi, but that doesn’t overwhelm the fun parts. If you like your romances hot then you have to pick this one up! It’s the perfect escape for the long winter nights.” Marta’s Meanderings
- “This is the first book I have read by Caridad but it will not be the last. Caterina is a very interesting character. The book is very Science Fiction with a mix of paranormal and action which I really love. . . The book is sexy and full of action.” Maria’s Space
- “I recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in science, suspense, and love. Caridad will have you turning the pages to see what will happen next and if you’re like me, Googling more on gene therapy.” The Book Faery Reviews
- “This book was a fascinating blend of science, romance, action, and mystery. With experimental gene therapies, cloning, and stem cell research expanding in real life, the possibilities this book incurs and what already is made this hard to put down. The romance and heat between the hero and heroine was stirring, the action was fast-paced, the characters believable, and the plot intriguing. What’s not to like? The secondary characters were likeable, making the reader fall in love with Mick’s family, especially Lilliana, who has her own little side-story in the book. Most of all, Caridad has a very conversational tone to her writing, which makes her stand out from the rest and tell a riveting, memorable story. A highly recommended read!” BookPleasures.com
- “The characters were well drawn and it gives the impression scientists could control many things in the future, if genes are manipulated in a dangerous way. . . The hero and heroine generate a lot of very interesting sexual heat whenever they meet, and the sex scenes are hot and very, very sensual. It’s a good balance for the story, as he pretends to be a man with no heart, until the author subtly lets the reader see his gentler side. If like me, you enjoy stories with a difference, where the paranormal joins with science to make us a little less human, you’ll enjoy this story.” Love Romances and More
- “What I love most about Sins of the Flesh is that nothing is what you think its going to be. Caridad keeps the reader constantly on the edge of their seat with more twists and turns, thrills and chills than a roller coaster. Sins of the Flesh is a wild ride from start to finish that leaves you wanting more.” The Book Pedler
- “SINS OF THE FLESH is a sure-fire page turner! Captured from the first page, I found myself eagerly wondering what would happen next. This romantic suspense has a paranormal twist that makes you wonder just how far science is prepared to go. Caterina’s sensuality leaps off the pages and the sexual tension between her and Mick will almost set the book on fire in your hands! SINS OF THE FLESH is the first book in an arresting new series that I cannot wait to continue. I’m sure that once you read this one, Caridad Pineiro will have you hooked as well.” The Romance Readers Connection
- “Sins of the Flesh has a nice dose of chilling suspense and exciting action with an intriguing sci-fi element and paranormal edge. . . (T)he romance between Caterina and Mick, two damaged souls who need each other, is believable and heartfelt. It’s a good debut read in a unique paranormal/sci-fi fantasy/romantic suspense series, and I’ll definitely check out the next book when it comes out. 4-4 ½ stars. “ Shawna – Good Reads
- “A new series by Paranormal Romance author Caridad Pineiro, SINS OF THE FLESH (Grand Central, Hachette Books, ISBN: 978-0-446-54383-5) is sure to have reader fans suddenly impatient for the next book after reading this one! This is an incredibly unique plot and the author makes the story seem so real, as though it could actually happen. . . . This book is action packed, sensual, incredibly fascinating, and reader fans won’t be disappointed!” Kari’s Korner