The women in today’s paranormal, suspense and urban fantasy books, movies and television shows are not the heroines of old. They are empowered, know how kick immortal ass and are capable of saving themselves. It’s why I love them and today, I’m sharing 13 of those top heroines from my favorite works (or at least I’m hoping to reach 13. If I can’t, I hope you’ll join in with your favorites).
1. Buffy Summers. What can I say other than that this character turned female empowerment on its head by proving women were capable of saving the world while still being feminine.
2. Eve Dallas. Tortured, strong, honorable and with a loving heart that grows with each IN DEATH story, J.D. Robb’s Eve is the ultimate powerful heroine.
3. Selene from Underworld. Kate Beckinsale totally rocked this role. I could watch the movie and its sequel over and over and over again.
4. Anita Blake. Some readers think Hamilton’s character went south with CERULEAN SINS, but early Anita is pure gold and not to be missed.
5. Rachel Morgan. This uber-witch from Kim Harrison’s Witch series touches your heart with your vulnerability, but raises you up with her desire to protect those whom she loves.
6. Paige Winterbourne. Kelley Armstrong’s heroine from the Magic series is a wonderful character trying to cope with being thrust into a role she hadn’t imagined for herself.
7. Gracie Hart. What can I say about Bullock’s interpretation of an FBI Agent who is totally not in touch with all things feminine. The transformation of this character is a must-see.
8. Anna Valerious. Kate Beckinsale makes the list again with this empowered female from the 2004 movie VAN HELSING. Tough and yet vulnerable, she has you rooting for a happily-ever-after with the always gorgeous Hugh Jackman in the role of Van Helsing.
9. Hermione Granger. Yep, you read that right. This pint-sized heroine packs enough brain power and magic to keep the men in tow.
10. Lara Croft. Wow, what can I say. Action, adventure and Angelina. Not to mention both Daniel Craig and Gerard Butler as potential love interests. Too yummy for words.
11. Wonder Woman. Lynda Carter brought class, sass and beauty to this role on the small screen. Filling her shoes in a movie version will be a hard act to follow. Could explain why so far this movie franchise can’t seem to get off the ground.
12. Supergirl. What can I say? I wish Superman’s little sister didn’t live in his shadow so much. Maybe she needed her own identity? Think of Robin becoming Night Wing. And why not Superwoman and not girl? But regardless, she ranks up there with the top kick ass heroines.
13. Catwoman. LOL! You thought I was going to say Batgirl didn’t you? Nope, this is one time that a villainess ranks up there, especially since in my hopefully romantic heart I kept on hoping for her to be redeemed and end up with Batman.
Hope you enjoyed today’s Thursday Thirteen. I welcome you to add any of your favorite kick ass heroines in the comments sections.
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants