This morning I was treated to an assortment of posters and little brag books about David Beckham on my way to work. What a way to start the day! So it seems only natural to share his latest photos with you this a.m. If you can’t see the video below, you can click here to see the bodywear ad.
It’s always great for me to share my friends and fellow writers with you and today it is my pleasure to have with us Jenn Nixon! Jenn Nixon is one of my wonderful friends at the Liberty States Fiction Writers and she is here today to tell us about her latest release, TRUST ME, TELL ME. Jenn is also offering up a copy of one her e-books to one lucky person who leaves a comment on this blog by midnight PST on Thursday, January 19. Without further ado, here is a little teaser for Jenn’s book.
Mason Storm is set to marry Veronica Chance in seven days. When he receives a mysterious text message he immediately packs and leaves without saying a word to anyone. After meeting with his former boss, Mason knows his past has finally caught up with him. In order to clear his name of false charges he returns home to Boston ready to put the issues to bed. Veronica, however, isn’t making it easy. She’s determined to help despite his claims of being the only one to make things right. As the investigation intensifies, Mason is captured and Veronica holds the key to his release. Will she make it there in time to save him and their wedding or will everything fall apart?
Mason sat on the edge of the bed, pulled out the pre-paid, and stared at it for a few minutes, trying to think of the right words to say so he wouldn’t outright piss Veronica off. Eventually he tapped her number into the phone and hit call. He didn’t even hear it ring on his end.
“Yeah, Veronica, it’s me.” He shut his eyes, picturing her face, keeping him calm.
“Good thing you called, I was checking flights,” she said. He smiled, imagining the cute way her brow furrowed when she was ticked. “I need to talk to you.”
“Are you safe?”
“Yes, I’m safe…making headway.”
“I found something.”
“What?” His eyes popped open, body leaned forward and tensed. Paper rustled in the background.
“This Todd Jackson guy is on the evidence logs from the Masterson case—”
“Did you know he and Ben Carter worked together during your case?”
“A passing memory of it, but that’s not important.”
She huffed. “Well did you know there are only three business cards logged in from her purse?”
“Fuck.” Mason knew every single piece of evidence tied to the Masterson case. They accused him of stealing her clothing, the actual police reports, and the lipstick from her purse. The business cards weren’t even mentioned during his trial. More proof his gut was right. Someone was covering up Tiffanie’s murder.
“Yeah,” she replied, snarky. “Still don’t want my help?”
“I appreciate it, but no. I don’t. I’ve got everything under—”
“So you know the other piece of evidence that’s really missing that’s not in your case file?”
Mason sighed. She wasn’t giving up. Deep down he loved her more for it but wished she’d let it go. He’d never forgive himself if she became a target. “No, I haven’t even touched the Masterson file, Veronica. Tell me.”
“The first time we talked about it you said you sent a piece of her skirt with a blood stain to the lab. Well it’s not in the evidence logs or the final lab report. It never got processed.”
“Son of a bitch,” he spat, ran his hand over his skull. He was so screwed. “Anything else?”
“Not much else I can do from here.”
“It’s more than enough already. Thanks.”
“Don’t shut me out, Storm. You know I can help.”
“I’ve already got too much on my mind…you gotta let me do this my way. Give me a little more time—twenty four hours. If I’m not closer to figuring this out you’ll be the first person I call.”
“I don’t believe you,” she said. “I know there’s something you’re not telling me, Storm. I’ve never pried because I didn’t want to be that girl, but you’re not making this easy for me.”
“Please, Veronica, you have to trust me. I need to stay focused.”
“I won’t get in your way, Storm…be careful,” she replied, sniffled.
His gut twisted, but didn’t change his tune. “I will. And I’ll talk to you soon.”
“Hey. I love you.”
“Me too,” she said then ended the call.
The pit in his stomach increased, a frown creasing his mouth as he stared at the phone. Her attitude toward him was already changing, and not for the better. He had little time to resolve this and get back to his life before the rift ripped them apart.
Mason refused to let that happen.
About Jenn Nixon
Jenn Nixon resides in New Jersey. She is a member of Romance Writers of America and Liberty State Fiction Writers. Her love for thrillers and suspense often finds its way into her novels whether they are Science Fiction or Romance. When not writing, Jenn spends her free time reading, absorbing pop culture and current events, and social networking online.
Purchase at Amazon: Purchase TRUST ME, TELL ME at Amazon
And wow was it a scary feeling. It started as a rumble, kind of like a subway car beneath my feet, only I’m on the 10th floor, so it was no subway!
Then the building swayed back and forth. Like someone had pushed it and now it was recoiling back into place.
Being in New York and with the wounds of 9/11 still not healed, my first thought was – attack.
Then when we realized what had happened, slightly less panic. Just a little less. I mean, the “small” earthquake moved a 40+ story building.
I know those out on the West Coast are sniggling at us wussie Easterners. They probably sleep right through earthquakes like this one. But not us New Yorkers! We’re the city that never sleeps, right?
Anyway, my friend and fellow author Keirsten Krum has offered up her views on our little tremblor and also rounded up some of the best tweets from Twitter. Do not miss this blog post, but be warned, you may spew your coffee all over your keyboard.
Have a great and bedrock stable day.
With the Romance Writers Conference arriving in my hometown on June 28th, look for me to start offering up some tips on Eats, To dos and To Sees! Look for Countdown 2 #RWA11 starting on June 1 on Twitter and my Facebook Fan Page.
But today I’m sharing some other favorite places to visit in New York City. I work there every day and for the longest time really didn’t get to see this amazing city. Once I decided to become a “tourist”, I discovered lots of different little neighborhoods, restaurants and sights to see. It’s one of the reasons I set THE CALLING in Manhattan – to offer up views of all the unique neighborhoods.
So here goes!
When you think of New York you probably imagine there is a lot of hustle and bustle in the city that never sleeps. You’d be right, but tucked amongst all those skyscrapers are oases of green and calm. Here are some of my favorites.
1. Tudor Greens
2. Union Square Park
3. Central Park
4. Bryant Park
I’d list Gramercy Park in there, but unfortunately this park is open only to those who pay an annual fee and possess a key to enter. Ugh.
Next up – America’s story locations. Unless you’re a Native American, your ancestors came here from somewhere else and New York City is a vibrant part of that immigration story. So be sure to visit these locations to learn more about America’s famed melting pot and experience some of the flavor imparted on New York by its immigrant populations:
5. Statue of Liberty
6. Ellis Island
7. Tenement Museum
8. Museum at Eldridge Street
10. Little Italy
To experience the hustle and bustle, from both on the ground and above, these locations can’t be beat:
11. Empire State Building
12. Top of the Rock
13. Times Square
I hope you’ve enjoyed today’s Thursday 13. If you’ve been to New York City, take a moment to share some of your favorite places to visit.
We’re still celebrating with my month long birthday bash and today I’m lucky to have with me Rachel Firasek whose latest release is PIPER’S FURY. Rachel had a chance to chat with Piper and since it’s Thursday 13, Piper is sharing with us the 13 lies she uses to protect her heart.
And now for a short blurb about PIPER’S FURY and Piper’s list for Thursday 13.
It’s an empath thing…
Using your “powers” to help the Dark Hills Police Department hunt down serial killers doesn’t leave much time for dating. Not that Piper Anast is complaining. The last thing she needs is some guy brushing up against her and pumping his pornographic thoughts into her head.
When she meets Bennett Slade, a sexy, tormented vampire, Piper stumbles headlong into a telepathic connection with his missing daughter. She can’t leave the kid to the evil surrounding her unwanted visions, nor can she resist her draw to Slade. He’s the first guy she’s been able to touch vision-free in, well, forever.
As she and Slade close in on the evil creature holding his daughter, Piper’s powers morph into a deadly fury. To save Slade’s daughter-and herself-Piper must face down demons she never knew she had and trust the one thing she keeps from everyone.
The Thirteen Lies I Use To Protect My Heart by Piper Anast
1. Slade is Ugly…no it’s a lie, it is. The man is gorgeous. His eyes reflect a storm above the mountain when he looks at me. Major hunk.
2. Slade’s mean. He’s mean to me. Nope, that’s a lie too. He’s really very nice. And polite. Too polite, it’s annoying!
3. He can’t cook. LIE! He cooks better than most women in America, he has years of practice. Hundreds of them.
4. Slade, is kind of cold-hearted. That’s not true either. He has a pure soul. He’s an open book until he tried to protect me from all the baddies in the world.
5. He’s a chauvinist. Well, other than keeping me away from death–dang, that’s not true either. He let’s me be a complete feminist.
6. He’s not sexy. If you like perfect muscles, tall and mysterious, I guess he would be considered sexy, but I don’t. *averts eyes from the crowd*
7. He doesn’t show any interest. Maybe he’s not into me as I’m into him. That’s not true. When he looks at me, when he kisses me, I know he more than just wants me.
8. He doesn’t take care of his kid. It’s true. She gets kidnapped when she’s a year old. I mean, who lets that happen? That’s mean, even for me. He adores this kid. It’s breaking his heart.
9. I tell myself that we wouldn’t be good for each other. Why would a gal with a temper need somebody kind and calm? It’s just not a good fit.
10. I’m not ready for a relationship. I mean, I’m only 24. I’ve never even dated. But, that’s because men are pigs. Well, except for Slade. He’s the first man I’ve ever met that hasn’t dirtied my mind with torrid visions.
11. I can’t move in with him. He lives in the mountains. Oh, who am I trying to kid. It’s the perfect place for an introvert like me.
12. If I were to get with Slade, I’d have to leave Mabel. She needs me. I mean who would drag her home from her many meetings, outings, and socializing?
13. I lie to myself. I lie to my friends. I lie to everyone because I don‘t have any feelings. Biggest lie yet. I love them all, but I can’t let them know that. You see, when you admit it, when you voice it and lose it, it hurts worse. I’ll just keep it locked inside and when they pass or leave, I’ll be able to keep a piece of them with me.
Thank you all for letting me share my chronic lying problem with you. Piper Anast, signing off!
Thank you Rachel and Piper for visiting with us today!
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) experts will tell you that one of the most important things you can do to increase website traffic and improve search engine listings is to increase the number of backlinks to your website.
What is a backlink? Backlinks are incoming links to a website. Backlinks are also one way that Google determines PageRank in order to assess the popularity of a website. (Did you know Page is actually the name of Larry Page, the inventor of the ranking algorithm?)
Wondering how your website ranks and how many backlinks there are to it? Click here for a nice backlink checker that also provides a ton of other info.
So how can you boost backlinks?
1. Exchange links to your website with others. List them on your links page in exchange for them linking to you. If you’ve got a book/author/writing related website to share, leave a comment with it and I’ll add you if you’ll add me!
2. Article submissions. Writing articles in your area of expertise or about topics of interest are a great way to create backlinks. E-zine Articles is a great way to do this. You can check out some of my articles by clicking here.
3. Social sites (Facebook, Twitter and Myspace) and social bookmarking are also great ways to create backlinks and it doesn’t have to be time-consuming. Applications like Hootsuite and sites like Ping.fm allow you to propogate multiple sites. Make sure to bookmark important pages on your site to Digg, Delicious and Stumbleupon, but also remember that “social” bookmarking is about being “social”. Share fun and interesting links as well via these sites.
4. Video submission sites are another manner in which to generate backlinks to your site and your uploaded videos.
5. Get listed at the various search directories like dmoz.org, Alexa, Google, Bing and Yahoo. This will assist in making sure that these search engines spider your site. This will help boost where you appear in their listings.
6. Guest blogs and comments on blogs also help create backlinks to your site. While every blog/website has a different method for leaving comments, try to use choose the method that allows you to leave your name and URL.
I will leave you with those tips for now, but I also invite you to drop by later today and visit with me at the Carina Press blog where I will be chatting about AZTEC GOLD and what inspired the story, including my own personal fear which influenced the herione’s character.
You may have seen the original Old Spice commercials with that very hunky man spoofing some of favorite things! Now he’s gone viral!
Visit his Twitter account and Youtube pages (addresses below) to see his responses to various tweets sent to him. A very fun ad campaign, I must say.
Check out the sites to get Fun Friday and your weeked off to a great start!
If you can’t see the video below, then click here to see the Old Spice man or cut and paste this link into your browser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLTIowBF0kE